Spring bulbs

I've had a 10% off voucher from a Netherlands supplier hanging around and lo and behold it's time to order spring bulbs and we're still in the EU.  In 9 days time a parcel will arrive of bulbs.  If it does get delayed at the border due to no deal brexit confusion, so be it; these bulbs will wait patiently, they're not like ordering live plants by courrier.  So last time I had their selection which was grape hyacinth: a RHS-award winning plant but in my view horrible because unless they're all dug up, they'll spread and take over, as an invasive species.  They're not evergreen and nor do they have a scent like real hyacinth.

  So I've splashed out getting pink and purple hyacinth in 3 shades for a customer's mum.  I'm not really buying for myself.  I've ordered a very big bag of tulips: the little bags don't really fill with the effect I'm usually after, though they were nice, it was too patchy.

 And for myself I've ordered cyclamen hederefolium.  They do really brighten up the garden with their leaves too, and they remind me of my aunt and uncle's old garden in Israel, and my old home in Hendon where I had one.  They're very hardy and you can really have them in a lawn and they'll be a surprise every year and just maybe mow around them a few times then they go dormant.

Not sure I saved as much but I really didn't like getting different plants than what I wanted.  The daffodils I ordered were nice but they're enough.

The tulips will hopefully remind people of what we love about being in the EU.

No comments:

Post a Comment