Correspondance with a new Labour Member of Parliament

 


On Sunday, 6 October 2024 at 12:57:55 BST, Dan Tomlinson <danforchippingbarnet@gmail.com> wrote:


Thank you for your email. I am delighted to be the new Labour MP for Chipping Barnet, and have now moved to a new email address. I am no longer monitoring this inbox, so please email dan.tomlinson.mp@parliament.uk instead. 

Please also note that in the first few weeks after the election there is lots to do, getting setting up on new systems and with new offices and staff. I would be grateful for your patience when waiting for replies, as I won't be able to respond to everything immediately.

Best wishes,

Dan Tomlinson

On Sunday, 6 October 2024 at 12:57:49 BST, Ben Samuel <snip> wrote:


Dear Dan & Office,

There was me thinking you were going to be better that the Tories.

I bet you're laughing at everyone who believed it and voted for you.

I categorically never signed up for your E-News from Dan Tomlinson MP.  You must have broken your general data protection regulations policies in order to harvest my email address from correspondence on behalf of a local group.

Please do better.

Ben Samuel
etc

______________
On Thursday, 3 October 2024 at 16:33:22 BST, Dan Tomlinson MP <danforchippingbarnet@181712006.mailchimpapp.com> wrote:

 

 View this email in your browser

    Dear Ben

    Welcome to the first edition of my monthly constituency e-newsletter. I hope the updates here are of interest. Let me know what you think!

    Please forward this email to anyone who might be interested to read it, or ask them to sign-up here.

    I want to begin by expressing my gratitude to Chipping Barnet residents for giving me the chance to serve our community. Over the summer I have set-up a new office and recruited a team of staff to help me serve our community. We'll be organising pop-up street stalls and coffee mornings for residents to meet me. And we are holding regular constituency surgeries by appointment.

    I also want to wish Shana Tova to Barnet's Jewish residents as the new year is celebrated. I hope and pray for a better year ahead.

    All my best wishes

    Listening to Chipping Barnet

    My first job as an MP is to listen to my constituents, whether you voted for me or not. I want to hear about your concerns and how I can make Barnet a better and safer place to live and work. Take my short survey and let me know how I can help improve our community.
    Share your views with me

    I am also keen to visit local community initiatives. Since being elected, it has been fantastic to visit local events and organisations that are doing brilliant work for our community. I enjoyed the magnificent flowers, cakes, and jams on show at the New Barnet Amateur Gardeners & Floral Art Society Autumn Show. I was moved to celebrate 30 years of Barnet Borough Sight Impaired at a fantastic event in St James’s Church in East Barnet, and I was very glad to discuss important local and national issues with the High Barnet Islamic Centre.

    Visiting our local fire station

    The London Fire Brigade of Barnet do life-saving work and so I was grateful to have the opportunity to meet local firefighters and hear about the vital services they provide. I’m proud to support and champion our emergency services in Barnet and across the country.
        

    The MPs of tomorrow

    It was such a joy to meet Sacred Heart Primary School Year 6 class in Parliament. It was a fun (if slightly daunting) experience to be grilled by them! If any local schools would like to come to Westminster then please contact my office and my staff team can arrange a visit.

    Local Casework Summary

    It is a privilege to support constituents and speak up for you about issues that affect your life – whether that’s pavements and potholes, visas and immigration, housing and healthcare, or planning and preserving green spaces. My team and I have been working hard to support around 1000 residents this month.  

    Apologies to anyone we haven’t managed to respond to yet. Please bear with us as we build our team and figure out how best to help people. Once we have caught up, we will aim to reply to anyone contacting us about a local issue within one week.

    Standing up for you in Westminster
    Dan Tomlinson MP standing in the House of Commons in a blue suit and dark red tie. MPs are sat behind him on the benches.

    Asking Keir Starmer about the closure of Chipping Barnet police station

    On 24 July, I asked Sir Keir Starmer a Prime Minister’s question about police cuts and the closure of the Chipping Barnet Police Station. The PM responded by committing to hiring 13,000 new police officers across the country as well as welcoming me to Parliament as Labour’s first ever MP for the constituency. I will be sure to fight for our fair share in Barnet.

    You can watch my question in full on my X (formerly Twitter) account.

    This changed Labour Party will always stand in the service of working people, and I look forward to continuing to raise issues in Parliament on behalf of the people of Chipping Barnet.

    Did you know? My office can organise tickets for you to attend a debate in Parliament. Find out more here.

    I’m pleased to have been appointed as the Parliamentary Champion for the government’s Economic Growth Mission – a cross-department role to support the government in their mission to deliver economic growth that makes people better off. I hope that through this role I can contribute towards getting the economy growing so that families in Barnet can enjoy prosperity that has, frankly, been lacking in Britain for some time now.

    I know many parents in Barnet are worried about the impact of smartphones and social media on their children. I have been working with Smartphone Free Childhood and others to investigate what can be done to help parents and children in this area so that we can improve the mental health of our young people. If you would like to work with me on a campaign to support young people’s mental health through restricting access to smartphones and social media in schools or for young people more broadly, please get in touch.

    There have been tougher moments in Westminster as well. I didn’t come into politics to cut Winter Fuel Payments to pensioners, but the government must make difficult financial decisions in order to reverse the economic decline our country faces. As someone who grew up in a family that struggled financially, I don’t want anyone to suffer as a result of the changes. I wrote an article in the Barnet Post about this.
    I am standing outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, with Big Ben in the background. There are union jack flags on flagpoles directly behind me. I am wearing a blue suit and tie and smiling.

    Voting for the King’s Speech

    King Charles III delivered the Labour government's first King's Speech in the House of Lords. It outlined the draft laws which the government plan to introduce in the coming months. These included bills on workers' rights, the renationalisation of the railways, immigration, housing and planning, and House of Lords reform.
        
    I stand in the House of Commons in a blue suit and dark red tie.

    Highlighting NHS waiting lists

    I asked Wes Streeting, the Health Secretary, about waiting lists in our area. In November 2023, the number of people on local hospital waiting lists climbed above 100,000 for the first time. I will work with the government to ensure more appointments for our constituency and more support for the Royal Free Trust.

    What will I achieve

    The people of Chipping Barnet voted for me based on Labour’s manifesto and my local pledges. I will work to make Chipping Barnet a safer, greener and more prosperous place for every resident. As your local MP, I will fight to:

        Increase police numbers in Barnet, and combat car theft;

        Reduce NHS waiting lists and improve access to local health services;

        Get the economy growing to make you and your family better off;

        Help our high streets in Barnet to thrive again;

        Get potholes filled in and improve the condition of our roads.

    I have begun conversations with local police and others about a ‘car theft summit’. Stay tuned for upcoming announcements and opportunities to get involved in the months ahead.

    Here to help

    My team and I are always available to assist people living in Chipping Barnet who need our help and support.

    Please do not hesitate to email me on dan.tomlinson.mp@parliament.uk, call my office on 020 7219 6510 or write to me at House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA if you think I can help in any way. My team of caseworkers and I hold both in-person and virtual surgery appointments for more complex matters.
    Facebook icon
    Twitter icon

    Copyright (C) 2024 Dan Tomlinson MP. All rights reserved.

    You are receiving this email because you gave your contact details on a survey, signed up online, or asked to be added to Dan's mailing list.

    Our mailing address is:
    Dan Tomlinson MP
    House of Commons
    London, SW1A 0AA
    United Kingdom

    Add us to your address book


    Want to change how you receive these emails?
    You can update your preferences or unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment